Saturday, 31 May 2014

A day in Bruges - beer and chocolates!

So after breakfast and plenty of hugs for the new family we made in the past seven days
we leave our floating home and make our way to our hotel to offload our bags and to explore more of this beautiful place.  I have huge admiration for the cyclists that ride the cobbles as I'm pooped dragging my bag over them. The cold is improved but I'm still coughing at night. Hoping it will all be gone in the next couple of days.  So yesterday I promised you waffles - we'll here's one I had yesterday.
Yummy with just icing sugar and butter, but you can have every toping imaginable.  To be honest I'm more interested in the chocolate and I had a very neat hot chocolate with this waffle.
That's how it arrived and the kit included a great stick with a cube of chocolate to melt in the hot milk.
Of course, Belgium is famous for chocolate, but what I didn't know was that they make just about everything imaginable with it.
Yup everything.....my excuse? I took this before I realised what they were...Moving right along they also make great ice cream
And great beer
Still the main attraction is this wonderful town which we have wandered around in today and which we are now enjoying from our hotel. This is our view and the bells are ringing - a wedding perhaps?
Here are some of the photos I took today 
Horse drawn carriages are a popular way to see Bruges. We didn't (well most of you know happens when I tangle with large four legged animals...)
Just a point of interest. In both the Netherlands and Belgium, pillows are small soft square things.
Finally a shot of me doing what I am mostly doing (thanks Doug). Tomorrow we are off to Brussels for the night, (we'll take the train in the morning) and then we're in Venice! Bye all. Xx